February 2, 2012 OccupyIcon says:
Probably should have had morning coffee before writing; however upon reflection the comment contains the essence of what the editor tried to communicate to a local occupy at GA on more than one occasion. If we boil it down, the essential proactive points emerge;
- The Occupy movement at large is still a peaceful protest
- Confrontation with police using military and intimidation tactics requires a level of evasive and/or disbursal action to safeguard vulnerable protesters
- When protesters are injured or incapacitated, defensive action is required to shield them and Medics from further harm
- Route spotters a coordinated team to observe potential kettling choke points and communicate information regarding potential hazards
- Medics an already honorable bunch well established and well trained
- Witnesses observers who do not participate, physically or verbally; similar to the National Lawyers Guild role and working in concert with NLG
If however, any or all of them wish to engage in a proactive, honorable effort, let them become the courageous protectors of Occupiers, including Medics and Media. As stated above;
Then, and only then will their tactics earn them the respect Occupy medics and media have earned.
Editors note: at no time does the author imply these roles are not employed on the local level by individual Occupations.
Related Ted Morgan commondreams.org OccupyChicago in 2012 Not 1968